The Protection Of Women From Domestic Violence Act, 2005 | #LawExplainers

What is domestic violence?

Any kind of abusive behaviour by your husband or male partner or their relatives (includes male and female relatives). It need not be physical abuse. It could also be verbal, emotional, sexual or economic abuse.

If you are a victim of domestic violence, what can you do?

This is a special law focused on victims and giving them relief from domestic violence. You can file an application under this law. This does not stop you from seeking other civil or criminal action against the offenders.

Who are the different authorities you can approach under this law?

As a victim, you can approach either the ‘Protection Officer’ or the ‘Service Provider’ under this law. You can also approach the police or a Magistrate directly. This is a database of all Registered Protection Officers and Service Providers across India.

What can you expect from the courts when you file a complaint?

The judge or the Magistrate can order many different measures under this law in order to ensure your protection and well-being. This includes protection orders (ordering the offender to stop violence), residence orders, monetary relief, custody orders and compensation orders.

Read the entire act here.

Also read: Everything You Need To Know About The Domestic Violence Act (PWDVA), 2005

Become an FII Member

Follow FII channels on Youtube and Telegram for latest updates.

Feminist media needs feminist allies!

Get premium content, exclusive benefits and help us remain independent, free and accessible.


Choose Your Plan!