Website Internet Freedom Foundation (IFF)
Where will you work?
The Internet Freedom Foundation (IFF) is a three year young, impact focused non-profit organisation. It was born out of the largest online movement at its time — SaveTheInternet.in – that fought and won the battle for net neutrality. Today, with a staff size of 8, it is securing digital rights for all Indians. We are guided by the values of the Constitution of India.
Why should you apply?
IFF is different. We are a team of high performers who combine the innovation of a modern startup with the clear, principle based values of social impact. Such inspired thinking is implemented in a highly collaborative environment of high performers. We practice accelerated learning, great levels of self-ownership and workplace empathy. You will through the course of your employment enjoy your work, improve your skills and hopefully set a solid foundation for leadership in community oriented communications, outreach, and digital rights advocacy. We promise you will get to build a healthy network by interacting with leaders from diverse fields who form part of the IFF community and are helping it grow.
Are you up to the challenge?
As a Communications and Outreach Associate, you will have the opportunity to play a key strategic and creative role in leading IFF’s impact in the digital rights domain. Not only will you increase public literacy around privacy, free expression, surveillance, tech policy, and internet access in India, you will also channel literacy into mass advocacy. This will in turn maximize the impact of IFF’s institutional engagements. This requires two key elements.
- First, you have a creative bent of mind. Are you constantly thinking about new and innovative ways to effectively communicate ideas via multiple mediums, galvanize people to stand up for their rights, and introduce punchy, compelling narratives into your work? Do you write brilliant copy that makes people think, swipe, and share? If yes, we want to hear from you.
- Second, you are a highly organized people-person with great time management skills. You enjoy collaborating with colleagues and stakeholders, managing diverse projects with agility, keeping a finger on the pulse of social media trends, and building out a team of passionate digital rights advocates.
Social media management
- Collaborate with IFF’s legal and policy teams to break down technical concepts surrounding digital rights into accessible explainers for diverse audiences across age-groups and professional domains.
- Strategize social media content on the basis of long-term policy engagements as well as rapid-response events.
- Work with IFF staff and industry stakeholders to create video explainers on digital rights issues and fundraising initiatives, and build out IFF’s video vertical.
- Fine-tune IFF’s outreach strategy and manage day-to-day posting on social media platforms.
- Collaborate with IFF’s operations team to manage content and outreach surrounding events, fundraising, quarterly calls, and cross-organisational engagements.
Visual identity development
- Refine IFF’s visual identity keeping in mind audience engagement, brand identity, and accessibility.
- Create high-quality, accessible, and shareable infographics, posters, and visual explainers on digital rights issues using Canva, Adobe, or other design softwares.
- Prepare graphics for IFF’s quarterly calls, fundraising documents, pitch decks, etc.
Community and advocacy
- Community and culture
- Manage IFF’s dynamic volunteer and supporter bases via active engagement over social media, email, Telegram, and the Internet Freedom Forum.
- Write IFF’s monthly newsletter for donors, members, and supporters.
- Strategic advocacy
- Chalk out strategy, process flows, and blueprints for community engagement and literacy around digital rights in India.
- Maintain a finger on the pulse of (a) social media trends, conversations, cultures, and changing literacy needs of young audiences, as well as (b) trending digital rights issues in India.
- Over the span of your employment with IFF, build out a strategic advocacy team geared towards public advocacy, mass awareness, and citizen engagement.
Skills and qualifications
- 1-2 years of experience in content creation and visual design with an expertise in navigating social media platforms and design softwares is preferred. We urge applicants from a variety of fields including humanities, social sciences, creative fields, journalism, and marketing to apply.
- Excellent English communication skills including creative copy and storytelling for social media, communicating technical and factual details, writing in terms of impact and readability, and scriptwriting for videos. Knowledge of one or more regional languages is a plus.
- An interest in learning about digital rights issues such as privacy, surveillance, and free expression, a passion for advocacy, and the ability to effectively articulate the need for young Indians to be brought into the fold of the digital rights movement.
- The ability to take creative initiative and bring new ideas to the table. A willingness to take ownership of the life-cycle of new ideas in terms of conceptualizing, researching, risk assessment, outreach, execution, and closure.
- A highly collaborative approach and good time-management skills. This role involves collaborations with operations, policy, and legal teams, management, external stakeholders, volunteers, and social media followers.
How to apply?
If you think you’re a good fit for this position and want to lead a young non profit organisation’s communications, outreach, and advocacy initiatives, please apply! We favour candidates who are available to start in this position as soon as possible. All applications should include: a resume and brief cover letter (this is important!) explaining your vision, your interests, core capacities and skills for this position.
The deadline for applications is 17th June, 2021.
This is a full-time position for the duration of 1 year. Given the current situation with COVID-19 across India, this position will initially be remote in which you will report to the Fundraising and Communications Manager. Salary will be commensurate with market standards of non-profit organisations and linked to performance and growth of the organisation. This is an immediate staffing need and we will be considering all applicants on a rolling basis.
Internet Freedom Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes a diverse candidate pool. We recognize diversity as an asset essential to accomplishing our mission and view diversity as encompassing differences in race, gender/gender identity, sexual orientation, education, age and geographic location.
To apply for this job please visit iff.breezy.hr.