Website Oorvani Foundation
Citizen Matters is a civic media platform with insightful reporting on critical urban issues, ideas and solutions for cities across India. Our local chapters in Bengaluru, Chennai and Mumbai focus on civic journalism and citizen engagement. Our work is supported by Oorvani Foundation (https://oorvani.org/), a non-profit organisation dedicated to empowering citizens through open knowledge platforms for civic engagement and community revitalisation.
We are expanding our team and are looking for enthusiastic committed individuals with a rapid learning curve and an interest in urban and community topics. If the idea of bringing citizens, data and journalism together to make better cities excites you, do apply!
Number of requirements – 2
Citizen Matters seeks a skilled reporter who can dive deep into local topics and develop a range of stories. The ideal candidate is a self-starter who is open and collaborative, with the stomach for hard reporting on tough issues, while being able to mix up their workload with feature writing from time to time.
- Track developments in the city – both emergent news and systemic issues.
- Write news reports, analysis, interviews, long form features etc, working in parallel with the rest of the team across India.
- Develop multimedia content like audio, video as required
- Support the team with social media outreach / engagement as planned. Including activities like social media chats, live interviews, panel discussions etc.
- Excellent command over English. Local language knowledge is important.
- Keen interest in urban and local topics like economy, sustainability, transport, water, waste, local governance and children.
- Curiosity and articulation, and a love for the written word!
- Self-learner, highly productive, efficient, capable of multitasking
- Excellent communication and social media skills
- Data journalism and hard reporting skills Experience: 0 – 2 years Education: Graduate. Background in Journalism, Mass Comm or English Literature preferred.
Deadline: End of February, 2022
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for the next stage of the recruitment process.
Note: We strive to be an equal opportunity organisation with an open and inclusive environment. We do not discriminate on the basis of religion, ethnicity, caste, class, language, gender (identity/expression/status), sexual orientation, appearance, disability, age, beliefs or any other basis.
For more information, please click here.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.