Website Himal Southasian
Himal Southasian, the region’s pioneering digital magazine of politics and culture, has challenged nationalist orthodoxies, and covered the region with imagination and rigour, with contributions from some of the most interesting writers in the region.
After three decades of setting the standards for narrative longform journalism in Southasia, Himal is now looking to expand its journalistic repertoire by including multimedia and video stories. We are therefore looking to hire an experienced multimedia editor who will assist our editorial team in developing, commissioning and producing multimedia stories, and enhance our capabilities in audio-visual journalism.
- Develop ideas for short, independent multimedia stories with inputs from the editorial team, both for in-house production and for commissioning stories.
- Respond to pitches and submissions for multimedia stories received from journalists and creators, and closely work with them to produce and publish audio and video stories.
- Maintain a network of multimedia contributors and a bank of multimedia stories at different stages of development, and ensure a lively frequency of audio and video stories online.
- Conceptualising and producing multimedia stories and packages to translate Himal Southasian’s in-depth, longform articles into short, crisp visual content.
- Editing video and audio content in alignment with the editorial vision and strategy of Himal Southasian, with an emphasis on quick turnaround time.
- Pursuing collaboration and partnerships for multimedia stories, events and packages.
- Be a part of all aspects of Himal’s journalistic production, including editorial brainstorming and research, communication with journalists, fact-checking and proofreading, and working with the editorial team to incorporate images and graphics in multimedia stories.
- Staying up to speed on news and current events in Southasia, especially in the areas of politics, law, economy, culture and society.
- Crafting multimedia strategies in coordination with the editorial team to increase Himal Southasian’s presence and engagement on social-media platforms, and creating multimedia content for the same.
- At least one-year experience in producing video and audio content in journalistic, research-based, policy-oriented or scholarly spaces in collaboration with a team.
- Proficient and experienced in editing video and audio content (as well as other logistical aspects of multimedia production). Working knowledge of at least one video editing platform such as Final Cut Pro or Adobe Premiere Pro, and preferably, at least one audio editing software such as Adobe Audition or Audacity.
- Excellent writing, editing and proofreading skills. Experience in writing/reporting for media or research organisations would be an added advantage.
- Demonstrable interest in Southasian politics, culture and society.
- Ability to do collaborative teamwork remotely and within tight deadlines.
Contract duration: One year with possible extension. The position, which is open to candidates from around the world (with preference given to those based in Southasia) is open from February 2022. We are open to full time (40 hours a week) or part time commitments, and you will be working remotely with extensive communication with the team during working hours.
Salary: Commensurate with skills, ability, experience and proven performance. Part-time salary will be calculated pro rata.
To apply: Send us your CV with links to your work/portfolio, along with a single document that includes:
- Indication of your availability (full time or part time).
- Your three favourite multimedia journalists, including a line on each.
- 500 words on how you think multimedia journalism could meaningfully add to Himal Southasian’s journalistic mission.
Send these to firstname.lastname@example.org under the subject line MULTIMEDIA EDITOR APPLICATION.
Deadline: 31 January 2022. However, we will start assessing applications from 24 January 2022. The work is expected to begin in February 2022.
Shortlisted candidates can expect a brief interview, followed by a further interview on a subsequent date for candidates who perform well. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For more information, please click here.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.