Pratham Books (www.prathambooks.org) is a not-for-profit children’s book publisher that was set up in 2004 to publish good quality, affordable books in many Indian languages. Our mission is to see ‘a book in every child’s hand’ and we have spread the joy of reading to millions of children in India. As a publisher serving every child in India, Pratham Books has always pushed the boundaries when it comes to exploring innovative ways in which to create access to joyful stories and have been fortunate in finding partners to collaborate with who share this vision.
In 2015, Pratham Books’ increased its footprint by going digital and launching StoryWeaver. StoryWeaver (www.storyweaver.org.in) aims at enabling book security at scale, by pioneering a new, inclusive approach to book creation and distribution. StoryWeaver provides open access to multilingual storybooks that can be read online, offline or downloaded & printed for non-digital environments. Easy-to-use tools enable further translation & versioning, so that the books can be customised for local requirements. In just five years, StoryWeaver has grown from providing 800 storybooks in 24 languages to 34,000 books in 300 languages.
StoryWeaver is being recognised as an emerging innovation that can transform the early literacy reader ecosystem globally. Very early on, StoryWeaver was featured in the World Bank’s report on 20 innovative EdTech projects from around the world, and more recently was the recipient of the prestigious Library of Congress Literacy Award 2017 International Prize.
We are looking for a Deputy Editor
Pratham Books is looking for a creative person to take on the work of a deputy editor. The position involves reading and review of new manuscripts, editing chosen manuscripts, managing the workflow with authors, designers and illustrators, working with the translation and design team, proofing copy at the layout and print stage, writing copy for blurbs, catalogues and promotional events. The assistant will have to be involved in making the books ready for print and also adapting it for digital media (StoryWeaver, audio-visual, etc). The deputy editor will also need to coordinate with the administrative team for documentation, records and payments. We expect this person to bring in new ideas to create interesting books in Indian languages for children, especially those children who may be first-generation school-goers. The position requires an interest in children’s literature and a creative understanding of child-friendly treatment of subjects.
- Developing scripts start to finish and interacting with writers and illustrators.
- Assist in sourcing and selecting manuscripts.
- Interpret themes and apply them to appropriate levels to create books.
- Edits and/or proofread manuscripts and other forms of copy for publication; making stylistic, structural and grammatical corrections, as well as other substantive changes as needed.
- Oversee the layout work, coordinate multiple production schedules and maintain printing deadlines for the same.
- Coordinate editorial, design, and production aspects, as well as post-production activities, such as mailing, mail house arrangements, registrations of copyright, etc.
- Dealing with the administration of work commissioned to freelance writers, researchers, art directors and illustrators;
- Liaising with other in-house teams, writers, designers and production staff to negotiate and monitor timescales for stages in the publishing process;
- May assist in training, scheduling and distributing work to freelance consultants.
- Develop relationships with writers and authors
- Degree in Literature/Journalism/Mass Communication/Media /Language
- At least 6-8 years in an editorial position
- Ability to visualise and engage creatively with the design team
- An interest in STEM (Science, Tech, Engineering and Math) subjects as the position involves creation of imaginative and fun STEM books
Nice to have but not mandatory:
- Experience working with non-profits
- Candidates who have worked in children’s publishing or with children.
This is a full-time position in our Bengaluru or Delhi office.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Write to us:
Please send us your resume and work samples to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Deputy Editor’ in the subject line of the email.
For more information, please click here.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.