Website Schools of Equality
Schools of Equality is a non-profit organisation that runs activity-based programmes in schools with the aim to shift social attitudes that perpetuate gender-based violence and other forms of discrimination. Our curriculum attempts to sensitise children to inequalities entrenched in society, such as gender-bias; class, caste and racial discrimination; and religious intolerance, through discussions, film screenings, art and theatre-based activities. These activities are conducted once a week by a trained facilitator, to encourage students to introspect and examine their own attitudes, and unconscious biases, question notions of power and privilege related to gender and its intersectionalities, and foster diversity and inclusion by respecting each other’s beliefs and rights. The programme innovates by creating a space for students to bring forward plans for change and strives to make them active leaders by equipping them with skills to organize public events and take any mode of action they choose to build communities of respect. In addition to working with students, we conduct workshops for parents, teachers, and corporates, as well as public workshops and events that are open to anyone. Since our inception in 2014, we have worked in both cities and rural districts in Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, and Karnataka.
Schools of Equality is seeking to hire a programme manager with a passion to foster social change through education. The programme manager will lead both the design and implementation of our work. Successful candidates come from a variety of disciplines and backgrounds and are typically:
- Creative problem solvers
- Strong project managers
- Thoughtful relationship builders
- Capable of forming and navigating relationships with a range of organizations and stakeholders
- Comfortable driving work forward independently
The programme manager’s responsibilities include:
Project design and management
- Designing, organizing, and facilitating: (i) sessions for students, teachers, and parents in schools; (ii) sensitization workshops for corporates and other stakeholders; and (iii) public workshops
Communications and relationship building
- Identifying and contacting new schools and partner organizations
- Organizing review meetings with heads of schools and partner organisations that we are working with on a bi-annual basis
- Engaging with media and social media to help Schools of Equality share its work broadly
Administrative responsibilities and fundraising
- Identifying grant opportunities and working with the directors to apply for grants
- Overseeing other administrative responsibilities involved with the running of the organization
Community of practice
- Sharing insights with colleagues and directors helping to spread lessons and best practices across the organization
- Training and mentoring new staff
- Passion for working with children and advancing social justice.
- Self-motivated with an orientation towards results.
- Excellent written and verbal communication, and public speaking.
- Strong project management capacities.
- Ability to work with educational institutions and other organizations, develop trust with school administration, and build relationships among diverse groups of stakeholders.
- Awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse backgrounds and perspectives, and ability to apply that to their work.
- Educational training in education and/or social justice or related fields.
- At least two years of professional work experience is preferred.
- Fluency in English and Tamil is preferred.
Application instructions: Interested candidates please write to email@example.com with your CV and a covering letter describing your interest in the role and how your prior work and/or academic training has prepared you for this role.
For more information, please click here.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.