Website The Centre for Effective Governance of Indian States (CEGIS)
The Centre for Effective Governance of Indian States (CEGIS) was co-founded by private equity investor turned philanthropist Ashish Dhawan and renowned Indian economist Karthik Muralidharan in 2019 to improve millions of lives by helping Indian state governments work better. CEGIS believes that improving the effectiveness of public expenditure is the most powerful way of achieving improved development outcomes at scale.
Starting with Telangana, where it has entered into a five-year partnership with the state’s government, CEGIS will support Indian states by identifying and implementing evidence based governance and public expenditure reforms. We will do this through a dedicated state office that will be co-created with the state and integrated with the Finance and Planning Departments of the state. The staffing model will
include CEGIS personnel as well as staff seconded by the state. We aim to build the organization in a “state-led” way, where we focus on deep partnerships with states with an iterative cycle of “thinking” and “doing”. The central CEGIS office will aim to curate ideas based on both evidence and experience, support state-level experimentation, and accelerate adoption of successful practices across states.
CEGIS in Telangana
As outlined in the concept note on the Centre for Effective Governance of Indian States (CEGIS), we have commenced our activities with a deep strategic partnership with the Government of Telangana (GoTS) over the next 5 years to achieve transformational impact in the quality of public performance management.
CEGIS is now working with different departments within GoTS (such as education and industries) to implement: (i) outcome measurement systems to set goals and monitor progress; (b) personnel management policies that hires, trains and incentivizes personnel to meet these goals; and (c) a strategic budgeting framework where resource allocation is based on evidence and cost-effectiveness.
In addition, CEGIS will act as the nodal organization bringing other partners to work across key sectors (like education, nutrition and agriculture) to help improve the state’s service delivery. This approach has buy-in from the highest political and administrative officials in the State government. Telangana, in effect, aims to become a model for a rigorous outcomebased approach to government service delivery in the country.
Working with CEGIS
At CEGIS, you will have the opportunity to:
- Shape the strategic direction of a young, innovative, and unique organization that is influenced by research but oriented heavily towards implementation;
- Positively influence relevant governance and policy issues in a high-paced environment; Work with a high-performing team of analytically-oriented, mission driven development professionals; and
- Upgrade your own technical capabilities, to ensure that as an organization we are always on the cutting-edge of data driven and research-informed development practice.
Within CEGIS, the Outcome Measurement (OM) team’s role is to support institutionalization of data driven decision making by setting up the required infrastructure and technical capacity with the Planning department and relevant line departments in the State. High quality data and insights generated through this facility are expected to provide assistance to the State in goal setting, progress monitoring and strategic decision making for personnel and budget/ finance management.
Specifically, this will, among other things, entail:
- Conduct independent household level outcome measurement across various sectors such as school education, health, child nutrition, water & sanitation, jobs & unemployment, public safety and agriculture etc. to assist the government in goal setting and progress monitoring
- Measure integrity of administrative data gathered and managed by the state machinery and suggest ways of improving its quality
- Conduct high-frequency measurement of outcomes and monitoring (of key programs and schemes) using various tools and techniques
- Generate learning notes to document project milestones and lessons for the future, and share generalizable knowledge with the wider team.
The Program Manager (PM) – Outcome Measurement will play an important role in contextualizing and executing the CEGIS vision in Telangana. The role will work closely with the Outcome Measurement technical team and the State team, and collaborate with other
CEGIS teams (Jobs, Investment and Productivity; Personnel Management; Strategic Budgeting).
The Program Manager will be jointly reporting to the Lead, Outcome Measurement and State Lead, Telangana.
Roles and Responsibilities
The key responsibilities of the Program Manager include:
- Oversee complex digital data collection operations (to be carried out by an external agency) involving multiple rounds of multi-sectoral surveys
- Work closely with senior academics and government stakeholders to tailor research design and protocols to local context, and translate technical requirements to onground implementation
- Support in development of high quality outputs (presentations, reports, briefs) summarizing project progress, data analyses, research findings for both technical and non-technical audiences and for dissemination at various forums
- Ensure adherence to data quality protocols, including auditing enumerators, monitoring data collection, and conducting data quality audits in any data collection project
- Replicate any analysis submitted by external partners to ensure rigor and quality of outputs
- Facilitate access to administrative data from relevant government line departments, review them using a prescribed template and conduct analysis as required
- Manage all the primary, secondary, and administrative data by strictly following data management and security protocols
- Assist in standardization of measurement and analysis protocols for projects
- Support the technical and professional development of reportees
- Keep track of global best practices in measurement and assist in strengthening team’s capacity to adopt those
Desired Qualifications, Skills and Abilities
- Education and Experience
- Master’s degree or equivalent in economics, statistics, public policy, engineering, social science, or related fields from a reputed institution
- 4 to 5 years relevant work experience, including extensive field research, managing evaluations, basic quantitative analysis, and managerial experience
- Experience in quantitative data management and analysis using STATA, R (strongly preferred) or Python programming
- Understanding of experimental and non-experimental research methods, including design and implementation of field sample surveys
- Skills and Traits
- Fluency in English and Telugu (basic to intermediate proficiency)
- Excellent problem-solving and strategic thinking skills, strong research aptitude ability to analyse complex quantitative and qualitative data and formulate solutions
- Fluency in English and excellent writing and communication skills (ability to communicate complex ideas in a meaningful way and across different audiences) within and outside the organization
- Demonstrated relationship-building ability and management of high-level relationships with partner organizations, ideally based on experience of working with Indian state governments
- Strong planning and organizational skills, and an ability to be able to set priorities, plan timelines and meet deadlines
- Passion for improving the effectiveness of Indian States, and alignment with CEGIS’s theory of change/ impact
- Operating style suited to working independently and in a small-organization setting, where teamwork and resourcefulness are highly valued
- Ability to work under pressure by handling competing priorities, strong planning and organizational skills, and an ability to be able to set priorities, plan timelines and meet deadlines, maintaining attention to detail and delivering high-quality outputs
- Ability to think creatively, willing to take risks to experiment with new ideas and the ability to turn ideas into action
- High ability to collaborate and actively listen to others, understanding and valuing others’ views
- Versatility to be comfortable taking on different projects and quickly dive into new sectors
Remuneration will be competitive with Indian philanthropy pay scales and will depend upon the candidate’s experience levels.
Interested candidates are requested to send their resume with a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org mentioning the position in the subject line.
For more information, please click here.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.