Website Words Without Borders
Words Without Borders seeks a Books Editor for its digital magazine of international literature. This remote, part-time freelance position pays $400/month and works closely with the magazine’s editors to commission and edit monthly reviews of new literature in translation, plus one additional long-form essay on a quarterly basis. This is a remote position requiring approximately 20 hours/month.
The Book Review Editor’s primary duties include:
- Commission and edit two 750–1,000-word book reviews per month and a quarterly long-form essay that brings a work of translation into the broader cultural conversation
- Manage a publication schedule of upcoming reviews
- Maintain and develop contacts with publishers to receive catalogs and special notice of forthcoming titles in translation
- Cultivate relationships with past WWB reviewers and keep them abreast of books that are available for review
- Recruit new reviewers
- Field and evaluate pitches from new and current reviewers
- Meet bi-monthly with the editorial team to assess reviews coverage and discuss new opportunities
- Upload reviews to WWB’s content management system
- Opportunity to contribute an occasional piece
Ideal candidates will meet the following requirements:
- Two to three years of line-editing experience
- At least two years’ experience commissioning and editing work for a literary or journalistic publication
- Demonstrated success in managing an editorial calendar and/or project management experience
- A knowledge of and passion for international literature
- Prior experience using content management systems preferred
To apply, send a cover letter and résumé, plus a pitch with proposed review of two upcoming books in translation, including proposed reviewers, and one pitch for a long-form essay that, while engaging with either a new or classic work in translation, taps into the zeitgeist and provides perspectives not just on literature but on culture (broadly defined) at large to email@example.com with the subject line “Books Editor.”
Deadline to apply is August 6, 2021 at 11:59 pm ET.
Words Without Borders does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, ethnicity, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, nationality, marital status, parental status, military service, or disability. We are committed to pursuing equity and inclusion in our organization and seek candidates who bring diverse backgrounds and new perspectives to our work. Individuals from groups who have been historically underrepresented in the field of publishing are especially encouraged to apply.
For more information, please click here.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.